Instagram: Makeamark_artroom

Monday, October 12, 2015

"The Dot"

The North Star staff attended a retreat before school began in September. During this retreat I had prompted each teacher and administrator to create a dot that expressed a positive message for the students to read. These dots hang from the "dot tree" outside of our library where passing students can get a positive affirmation. The tree was left over from last year's teacher appreciation installation, I'm happy it could be re-purposed.

This whole idea was inspired by the book "The Dot", by Peter H. Reynolds.  If you haven't read it, it is a sweet book about a young student artist who finds the courage to make her mark. She overcomes negativity and fear as her teacher champions even her smallest step towards growth. What a great message to send to our kids...

My goal was to spread this message about being brave, expressing oneself, and dreaming big all over the building through visual displays.

 

North Star's "Dot Tree"




Staff created dots with positive messages for the students.
Installed above the doorway near the lunchroom.

Installed in the primary wing as a motif throughout the building.

I've since read this book to all of the students at North Star and have taught lessons based on the idea of creating artworks with just a dot.  I drew most of my inspiration from my favorite art ed blogger from Nashville, Tennessee, Cassie Stephens. She celebrated National Dot Day in her school last year and displayed school wide collaborative artworks. I'm so thankful to her and her school's example.

Our dot projects were as follows:
Kinders made circle dot tracings, first graders created painted dot murals, 2nd graders created community dot quilts (I'll post about that separately as Veteran's Day approaches), 3rd graders created metal foil relief dots, 4th graders created abstract expressionism dots, and 5th graders created string art dots.

5th grade stitched dot

5th grade stitched art with textured paint background.

Stitched dot's displayed in the 5th grade wing.

Metal foil relief dots on display near the 3rd grade classrooms.


Blurry camera photo of abstract expressionism dots...I have to bring my Nikon to school!


These artworks will remain on display in our school for as long as the kids allow it. A lot of students really want to take them home but I know it gives them pride to see them hanging up in the hallways for all to see and appreciate.

This is my first time creating a school wide collaborative art display. I think it has turned out rather well.  I really like how it ties the building together visually. Each student and staff played a part in the making of it all and I'm so pleased with the results.

I look forward to doing something like this again in the future!

1 comment: