Instagram: Makeamark_artroom

Monday, October 19, 2015

Monster "wips"

The primary students at North Star have been exploring all things Monster these past couple of weeks.  Kindergarten through 2nd grade are learning about texture and mixed media collage. I've read several books to jump start their imaginations. Such as "I need my Monster", by North Star tech teacher Amanda Noll,  and "Even Monsters Need Haircuts", by Matthew McElligott.

I've decided to devote this post to Monster "wips"...what is a "wip", you ask? A wip is a work in progress. I am trying to teach the students that the process of art making is just as important as the end result. Therefore, why not post some "wips"?

As the projects become completed in time for conference week, I'll post their results.

"The Man Who Tricked a Ghost", by Laurence Yep

Student uses painted paper to create a monster collage in response to Yep's story.

1st Grade Monster to be used in a collage.

2nd grade table with their supplies.

This student carefully applies this cloth texture.

Don't mind the mess, she is hard at work.

1st grader Monster playing basketball with zombies, imaginative!





I find it important to teach our children to celebrate our processes as well as our final works.  There are discoveries to be had and lessons to learn along the way.  Stay tuned for more spooky art!

No comments:

Post a Comment