Instagram: Makeamark_artroom

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Ojos Weave in 2nd grade


The 2nd grade artists have been busy weaving Ojos de Dios (God's Eye). They are also known as the "Cat's Eye" weaving.


I began this lesson with a short presentation on the history of this type of weaving. The students learned that this cultural artform is a meditative process that produces a cultural symbol of protection. These weavings have been created by the ancient Pueblo and Mexican people.

Each student was given a cross shaped loom made from hot-glued popsicle sticks. I then demonstrated to the group how to measure and cut their weft from the "yarn buffet".


I then instructed the weavers to  number each stick 1-4 so that the students can keep track of their weaving pattern. I learned this technique from my favorite blogger Cassie Stephens.


I used my document camera to weave along with them. They learned the proper technique of wrapping the weft under over each stick and rotate to the next in a circular pattern. Their weft radiates out from the center in rows. They were to be careful to not flip their looms over while weaving but only turn it in a circle.


Here are some of the results!





Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment